Wednesday, February 8, 2012

DIY Bib

I finally finished the bib DIY project! I purposely made this the first DIY so I could get it done within two to three days. Unfortunately, it took me way longer than I had expected!

The plan:
Make a cute/quirky bib for my nephew

The Supplies:

The problem arose when I first laid out the letters. It turns out I miscounted and I was missing an "S". I decided to go ahead and start the project with the missing "S" thinking it would be no problem to find the matching package of letters again. After about two weeks, visiting two different Hobby Lobby stores several times each, and endless searching online, I finally gave up on finding the exact matching font and just went with the closest one I could find. It's not completely perfect but it looks pretty darn good.

Aside from the letter fiasco, I made a few rookie mistakes along the way... but you live, you learn, right?



That's what I get for sewing while I'm watching tv! lol

Aside from my smalls snags, the bib is pretty easy to make. First, arrange the letters on the bib with backside down. Next, place a cotton cloth over the letters. Proceed to iron on applying firm pressure for 25 seconds. Then, turn the bib and iron the back of the letters for another 25 seconds and let it cool.

Make sure your steam setting is off! 

Also, since the bib fabric is not completely waterproof, it is not guaranteed the letters will not come off during washing so I went ahead and secured them by sewing them on at various points. I sewed as close to the edge of the letters as possible while still ensuring I had a good enough hold to secure them to the bib.

And here's the finished product!


On a side note, I went by my mom's house today and visited with my grandma, my little brother and my mom's birds. While my grandma was busy sewing her shirt, my brother and I took the birds out of the cage and took a few pics...


I don't think the bird liked my nail polish though... he kept biting it! It was hilarious!


His tongue looked so weird! lol


Well, I hope you guys enjoyed the bib diy and the bird pics! What did you think? Don't be shy! Leave me a comment with any thoughts, questions, etc.  Hope to hear from you!

Damarys

No comments:

Post a Comment